Transition of Parochial Vicars
Bishop Jarrell recently announced that Sacred Heart and St. Joseph would receive a new Parochial Vicar on July 1, 2015. Fr. Brian Harrington has served our parishes for two years and will now serve St. Mary Magdalen church in Abbeville as the Parochial Vicar. Our new Parochial Vicar will be Fr. Matthew Barzare, a native of Eunice, and current Parochial Vicar of Holy Rosary Church in Kaplan. Please pray for Fr. Harrington and Fr. Barzare during this transition.
In a joint effort between the men of Our Lady Queen of All Saints and Sacred Heart Church Parishes, That Man Is You! was started in Ville Platte in early September of 2013 and was a huge success. The group had an average of well over 50 men attend each of the Fall and Spring sessions. The upcoming Fall Sessions are open to all Men in the area, including those who were not able to participate during the Sessions last year. WHEREVER YOU ARE IN YOUR SPIRITUAL LIFE, JESUS CHRIST WANTS TO ENCOUNTER YOU RIGHT THERE….AND TAKE YOU FURTHER.
That Man is You! is a 26 week interactive men’s program combining the best research from science with the teachings of the Catholic faith and the wisdom of the saints to develop the vision of a man fully alive. By honestly addressing the pressures and temptations that men face in our modern culture, the nationwide program called That Man is You! seeks to form men who will be capable of transforming homes and society.
– The true dignity of the heart of a father.
– The 4 types of formation necessary for fathers to form their children and the challenges confronting men in this formation.
– The parenting method given by a saint and proven effective with the most difficult children and its relationship to the 7 Steps of TMIY.
– The amazing dignity of St. Joseph and his home at Nazareth and how you and your home can participate in this dignity.
Consider joining the men of your community in this free weekly program to grow in faith this year!
When: Tuesday Mornings, beginning
September 15, 2015
Where: Our Lady Queen of All Saints
Family Life Center
5:15 a.m. – Breakfast
5:50 a.m. – Presentation
6:20 a.m. – Small Group Discussions
7:00 a.m. – Conclusion
Register for this free program online at www.thatmanisyou.org or by calling (337) 831-1278, Our Lady Queen of All Saints Family Life Center at 337-363-5167, or Sacred Heart Church Office at 337-363-2989.
For more information, see the video below or visit www.thatmanisyou.org
Upcoming Diocesan Events
- For Year of Mercy, pope extends possibilities for absolution
- Bishop Jarrell responds to Pope Francis' request
- Bishop Jarrell addresses the people of Acadiana about recent acts of violence
- Video Series On Catholic Social Teaching Launches With ‘Care For God’s Creation’
- Eleven cardinals urge maintaining church rules on marriage
- Iraqi archbishop: Plight of fleeing Christians has challenged his faith
- Bishop Michael Jarrell speaks out about Planned Parenthood
- Brand new ballgame: 72 men start lives as seminarians in Rome
- Pope urges prayers for creation Sept. 1
- Family prayer time can start with small, simple gestures, pope says
Father Tom’s Homily
- Homily for 15th Sunday Ordinary Time — 12 July 2015
- Homily for 16th Sunday Ordinary Time — 19 July 2015
- Homily for 17th Sunday Ordinary Time — 26 July 2015
- Homily for 18th Sunday Ordinary Time — 2 August 2015
- Homily for 20th Sunday Ordinary Time —16 August 2015
- Homily for 21st Sunday Ordinary Time — 23 August 2015
- Homily for 22nd Sunday Ordinary Time — 30 August 2015
Upcoming Retreats in Diocese
The Diocese of Lafayette Office of Marriage and Family life would like to introduce a new program for those grieving the loss of a loved one.
A Catholic Journey through Grief
When: October 4, 2015 from 9:00 am- 4:30pm,
with the follow up on October 18th from 2:30 pm-4:30 pm
Where: Both days will be held at St. Anne’s Catholic Church in Youngsville
Cost: $30.00—includes your supplies for both days and lunch for your retreat day
For more information or to register, please visit www.diolaf.org/grief
Along with the grief program for adults, a complementary grief workshop is offered for children. Through guided therapeutic art and group activities, your child can learn they are not alone in their grief.
Children’s Grief Workshop
When: Sunday, October 18, 2015
from 2:30 pm- 4:30pm with Mass to follow
Where: St. Anne’s Catholic Church Parish Hall
201 Church St. Youngsville, La. 70592
Some benefits of the workshop include:
- Expressing feelings and emotions appropriately with other who have experienced similar losses
- Increasing levels of openness, honesty and trust
- Understanding and coping with changes in the family since the death of a special person
Workshop facilitated by:
Ninette Cormier, LPC-S and Jessica Johnson, LPC
Pre-registration is required, please call (337) 261-5653
A Child’s Journey: Finding Healing and Hope after Divorce
When: October 18, 2015 from 2:00pm- 4:30pm
Where: Immaculata Center
1408 Carmel Dr. Lafayette, LA
Cost: $30 per child
?For children ages 9-12 who are coping with the divorce of their parents
?Led by Daniel Yeager, LCSW and Michelle Comeaux Hernandez, LPC
?Parent break out session with Dan Jurek
Pre-registration is required!
For more information or to register, please visit www.diolaf.org/divorcerecovery
Celebrating the Pope series
Pope Francis often makes headlines, but few encounter his actual teachings which are like an examination of conscience challenging us to grow as Christian disciples.
These webinars are for people of all walks of life—diocesan leaders, parish staff and volunteers, families and laity—to live out the Holy Father’s vision for the renewal of the Church and the New Evangelization.
Can be watched at home!
(1) Celebrating the Pope: Pope Francis and the Joy of the Gospel
Wednesday, August 26, 2015: 7:00-8:00pm EDT
(2) Celebrating the Pope: Pope Francis and the Family: Practical Ways to Live Out the Wisdom of the Holy Father
Thursday, September 3, 2015: 7:00pm-8:00pm EDT
(3) Celebrating the Pope: What Makes Pope Francis Tick?
Thursday, September 10, 2015: 7:00-8:00pm EDT