Respect Life Month 2016
October is annually observed as Respect Life Month in Catholic Churches across our nation. This provides a wonderful opportunity to teach our children the truth about the dignity of the human person, and to help Catholics understand, value, and become engaged with supporting the dignity of the human person, and therefore the gift of every person’s life. Human life is under constant attack in our culture today; from the moment of conception to natural death. Life is threatened because we no longer understand what it means to be human, and what our humanity calls forth from us in our responsibility to care for other persons. John Paul II in his encyclical the Gospel of Life (Evangelium Vitae, EV) tells us that “For the Christian, it is an absolute imperative to respect, love and promote the life of every brother and sister, in accordance with the requirements of God’s bountiful love in Jesus Christ.” n. 77
That Man is You!
That Man is You! is a 26 week interactive men’s program combining the best research from science with the teachings of the Catholic faith and the wisdom of the saints to develop the vision of a man fully alive. By honestly addressing the pressures and temptations that men face in our modern culture, the nationwide program called That Man is You! seeks to form men who will be capable of transforming homes and society.
When: Tuesday Mornings, starting September 27, 2016
Where: OLQAS Family Life Center
5:15 a.m. – Breakfast
5:50 a.m. – Presentation
6:20 a.m. – Small Group Discussions
7:00 a.m. – Conclusion
Register for this free program online at www.thatmanisyou.org or by calling (337) 831-1278 or in person at the Family Life Center prior to any TMIY session.
Back-to-Basics Lecture Series
The 2016-17 season will focus on Marian Apparitions. In May 2017, the Church will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima. In order to prepare for that event, we’ll take a look at what constitutes an authentic apparition; and look more closely at the apparitions of Guadalupe and Lourdes.
We will also have a few other diverse topics, like “Purgatory and Indulgences” and “The Mass in Slow Motion.” (See the schedule below for the full list and dates.)
We’re happy to have some special guest speakers this season. Former OLQAS pastor, Fr. Randy Moreau, will join us in December for the talk on Our Lady of Guadalupe; and Msgr. Jeff DeBlanc, who was parochial vicar at Sacred Heart across town in the mid-1980s, will talk on Our Lady of Lourdes in February.
Please be sure to join us every second Monday of the month from 5:30-6:30pm at the Family Life Center. Everyone is invited to attend!
6 Months Old:
I am 6 months old now. I just opened my eyes; since I was 2 months old they were sealed shut. I wonder what you look like. I can hear sounds, too! It’s great to have someone praying for me.
Your spiritually adopted baby is developing quite beautifully now. Babies born prematurely at this time have a very good chance of surviving. The medical advances in caring for extremely small newborns are extraordinary indeed. Justin O’Connor has remarked that the Roe v. Wade decision is on a collision course with itself. Each passing year, we witness medical advances that allow our medical professionals to save younger and younger premature infants.
Blessing of the Cemeteries Schedule 2016
Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish Announcements
+ The Perpetual (24 hours) Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is available to us at Mercy Regional Hospital Chapel. If you are interested in becoming a regularly scheduled adorer or a substitute adorer, please phone 337-363-4533 for more information.
Adorers needed for the following times:
+ Sundays at 1:00a.m. , 2:00a.m., 8:00a.m.
Father Tom’s Homily
- Homily for 15th Sunday Ordinary Time — 12 July 2015
- Homily for 16th Sunday Ordinary Time — 19 July 2015
- Homily for 17th Sunday Ordinary Time — 26 July 2015
- Homily for 18th Sunday Ordinary Time — 2 August 2015
- Homily for 20th Sunday Ordinary Time —16 August 2015
- Homily for 21st Sunday Ordinary Time — 23 August 2015
- Homily for 22nd Sunday Ordinary Time — 30 August 2015
- Homily for 23rd Sunday Ordinary Time — 6 September 2015
- Homily for 24th Sunday Ordinary Time — 13 September 2015
- Homily for 25th Sunday Ordinary Time — 20 September 2015
- Homily for 29th Sunday Ordinary Time — 18 October 2015
- Homily for 31st Sunday Ordinary Time — 1 November 2015, All Saints Day
- Homily for 32nd Sunday Ordinary Time — 8 November 2015
- Homily for 33rd Sunday Ordinary Time — 15 November 2015
- Homily for 1st Sunday of Advent — 29 November 2015
- Homily for 3rd Sunday of Advent — 13 December 2015
- Homily for 4th Sunday of Advent — 20 December 2015
- Homily for The Nativity of the Lord — 25 December 2015
- Homily for The Holy Family of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph — 27 December 2015
- Homily for The Solemnity of Mary, The Holy Mother of God — 1 January 2016
- Homily for The Epiphany of the Lord— 3 January 2016
- Homily for The Baptism of the Lord— 10 January 2016
- Homily for 2nd Sunday Ordinary Time — 17 January 2016
- Homily for 3rd Sunday Ordinary Time — 24 January 2016
- Homily for 4th Sunday Ordinary Time — 31 January 2016
- Homily for 5th Sunday Ordinary Time — 7 February 2016
- Homily for 1st Sunday of Lent — 14 February 2016
- Homily for 2nd Sunday of Lent — 21 February 2016
- Homily for 3rd Sunday of Lent — 28 February 2016
- Homily for 4th Sunday of Lent — 6 March 2016
- Homily for 5th Sunday of Lent — 13 March 2016
- Homily for Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord — 20 March 2016
- Homily for Divine Mercy Sunday – 3 April 2016
- Homily for 4th Sunday of Easter – 17 April 2016
- Homily for 5th Sunday of Easter – 24 April 2016
- Homily for 6th Sunday of Easter – 1 May 2016
- Homily for The Ascension of the Lord – 8 May 2016
- Homily for Pentecost Sunday – 15 May 2016
- Homily for The Most Holy Trinity – 22 May 2016
- Homily for The Most Holy Body & Blood of Christ – 29 May 2016
- Homily for 14th Sunday Ordinary Time- 03 July 2016
- Homily for 19th Sunday Ordinary Time – 07 August 2016
- Homily for 21st Sunday Ordinary Time – 21 August 2016
- Homily for 22nd Sunday Ordinary Time – 28 August 2016
- Homily for 23rd Sunday Ordinary Time – 04 September 2016
- Homily for 24th Sunday Ordinary Time – 11 September 2016
- Homily for 25th Sunday Ordinary Time – 18 September 2016
- Homily for 26th Sunday Ordinary Time – 25 September 2016
- Homily for 27th Sunday Ordinary Time – 2 October 2016
- Homily for 30th Sunday Ordinary Time – 23 October 2016
Upcoming Retreats in Diocese
+ Proclaim Catholic Missions Conference
You can transform the world!
October 29th and 30th
Ramada Lafayette Conference Center
Register at www.Proclaim2016.com
+ Unpacking the Emotional Booksack: Healing Tools for Grieving Children and Teens:
This workshop will offer tools for parents, educators, social workers or any other individual that may assist children and teens find a new normal after experiencing loss and bereavement. Special attention given to the complicated forms of loss which often accompany physical death by suicide/murder/catastrophic events as well as non-death/secondary losses and their related bereavement tasks. DeAnn Kalich, Ph.D., F.T. (Professor and Dept. Head of Sociology, Anthropology & Child and Family Studies, University of Louisiana at Lafayette), will offer some compassionate tools to assist with this process. Dr. Kalich will speak at St. Therese of the Child Jesus Holy Family Center at 101 N. Leonard St. in Abbeville from 6:30 p.m. – 8:50 p.m. on Tuesday, November 15, 2016. No registration or fees.
+ Marriage Enrichment with Jim Schellman
Marriage Enrichment with Jim Schellman has been rescheduled to February 4, 2017. Join Jim Schellman for a day of formation for married couples to deepen their marriage covenant in Jesus Christ. Inspired by the Catechumenal Model of adult formation, couples will have the opportunity to focus their hopes, dreams, worries and sufferings on Christ. The full day of workshop will be held at the Imaculatta Center; Saturday, February 4, 2017 from 9:00am-4:30pm. The cost of the retreat is $75 which will include your lunch and all supplies. Please pre-register through our website, www.diolaf.org/marriage-enrichment. Deadline to register is January 20th.
+ Divorce Recovery Program:
The Office of Marriage and Family Life offers a 6-week divorce recovery program for those who have suffered from divorce/separation. Please visit our website, www.diolaf.org/divorcerecovery to register or to find out more information.
+ CoDependents Anonymous (CODA) Meetings – (Sponsored by Pro-Life Apostolate)
The Respect Life CODA meetings are for men and woman whose common purpose is to develop healthy relationships.
When: Each Thursday (Except Diocesan Holidays)
Time: 12:00 — 1:00 PM
Where: Levasseur Room #221 – Immaculata Center – 1408 Carmel Dr. – Lafayette, LA 70501
Contact: Trista Littell 337-261-5607
Upcoming Diocesan Events
- Final resting place: Vatican releases instruction on burial, cremation
- Carmelite nun heard call at early age
- National Vocation Awareness Week Set For November 6-12
- Pope: The kingdom of God grows through meekness, not rigidity
- Seminarians Installed into Ministry of Acolyte
- Nuncio at border Mass prays for an end to barriers that separate people
- National Bible Week To Be Celebrated: November 13-19
- Pope expresses shock over cruelty waged against innocent Iraqis
- For vocations, one must go out, listen, call, pope says
- October is Respect Life Month